Real Estate and Business Law in Colorado Springs
After over 45 years of practicing law, James Kin is still motivated by the important service performed by lawyers to our community and continues to enjoy the challenge of helping clients understand and make their way through real estate and business transactions and find solutions to their real estate and business problems and disputes. He has reduced his practice to office matters and no longer litigates. However, he still counsels clients on pre-litigation analysis and problem solving. When necessary he refers the matter to litigation counsel.
Mr. Kin’s other joy in life is his wife Eileen and their three grown children, John, Matt and Lisa with four grandchildren. Even though their children and grandchildren are scattered across the country, they are very much a part of Jim and Eileen’s lives.
In addition to family activities, Jim and Eileen have developed a mutual love for cooking and gardening. They both are very active in their community. Jim is active in development issues in the Mesa area and the Mesa neighborhood. Eileen is an accomplished flower arranger and is active in the local chapter of Ikebana International (the art of Japanese flower arranging).
What I Do:
- Real Estate Law
- Commercial Real Estate
- Residential Real Estate
- For Sale By Owner (FSBO)
- Title Matters
- Property Line and Boundary Disputes
- Easement and Access Issues
- Adverse Possession
- Counseling Regarding Commercial Foreclosures
- Mechanics Liens
- Business Matters
- Business Entities (Corporations, Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, Professional Corporations and Partnerships): Formation and Dissolution
- Purchase and Sale of Businesses
- Small Business Counseling
What I Don't Do:
- I no longer do litigation. In most matters, resolving a matter in court is too expensive, unpredictable and unsatisfactory. However, I can assist you in analyzing your claim and working on a resolution. If the matter needs to be litigated, I will refer you to an experienced litigator to handle the matter.
- Residential Landlord-Tenant Matters and Disputes
- I do not handle matters regarding residential landlord tenant disputes. However, most clients simply need a review of the issues and counseling on how to resolve the problem.
- I do not handle Residential Mortgages and foreclosures
- I do not handle Construction Defects and Disputes
- I do not handle Workmens Compensation
Education & Memberships:
- St. Joseph’s College, Indiana, Bachelor of Arts, Cum Laude, 1965
- Wayne State University Law School, Juris Doctor, 1969
- Colorado Bar Association: Real Estate Section
- El Paso County Bar Association:
- Legacy Society and mentoring program
- Real Estate Section
- Admitted to practice in Colorado: all courts; U.S. District Court, District of Colorado and Western Michigan, 10th Circuit Court of Appeals and U.S. Supreme Court
Community Memberships and Honors:
- Co-Counsel in Shea v. Vialpando, 416 U.S. 251 (1974); presented case before the United States Supreme Court
- Colorado Land Use Commission: Member; Chairman 1980-1981
- Clean Air Campaign, Inc.: Board of Directors, 1986-1994; Vice President, 1991-1992; Recipient of 1994 Crystal Peak Award
- Downtown Pikes Peak YMCA: Board of Directors, 1988-1998; Chairman, 1994-1996
- Metropolitan Board Pikes Peak YMCA: Board of Directors, 1990-1996
- Partners in Housing: Board of Directors, 1991-1997
- Downtown Action Plan Committee: Member, 1989-1992; Downtown Action Plan adopted in 1992
- Downtown Colorado Springs, Inc.: Recipient of the Whetstone Service Award, 1997
- Colorado Springs Downtown Partnership, Inc.: Director and Past President
- Colorado Springs Community Ventures, Inc. Art on the Streets
- Colorado Springs Urban Renewal Authority: 2008 - 2013
- Rawles Open Space Neighborhood Master Plan Committee: Plan adopted February 24, 2015. One of three neighborhood initiated master plans in Colorado Springs.
FEES: I bill by the hour. My current filling rate is $285/hour. After reviewing the scope of the work you need, sometimes I can give you a flat fee for those services. Most times, I am not able to know how much time it will take. In those cases, I will give you an estimate and range to help you in managing your case. You will be billed monthly as of the 22nd of each month with an itemized invoice for the time spent.
With all appointments, bring copies of all documentation that is relevant to the issues you want me to address. That saves me time and you money.
Don't wait to get started on your case. Arrange a consultation with attorney Kin by contacting us online or call (719) 249-6240 today.